Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Overstimulus Package

One week has gone by faster than Mark Cavendish in a sprint finish. If you don't know who Mark is, you're not watching the Tour de France. Among the many amenities of this wonderful apartment is the large plasma television with DirectTV, so I'm able to watch every day. You should too the last week is shaping up to be very good.

The week has flown by so quickly because that what I've been told time does when you're having fun. I certainly have been very busy and somewhere in there I got older. My birthday as you probably know was Monday and it was the most relaxing day I've spent thus far. That could have something to do with staying awake, involuntarily, until 6:30 AM the night before with a wicked case of insomnia. You can psychoanalyze that to death if you will; I won't be on these pages. I'm crediting an incredibly busy weekend of new sights, sounds, smells, and people that kept my brain going all night long.

On Sunday, after the disappointment that was Bastille Day in Clinton Hill, I was brought out to Astoria, Queens, to a Czech Beer Garden for an afternoon of drinking in the sun with five friends, three times removed. After Debbie left, I remained behind with these good people and listened to live blues-rock covers of Michael Jackson songs (among other hits of dead celebrities). From there we walked through Astoria, down a long street that might be known as Little Beruit, to sit in a Hookah Bar where I partook in only the hot mint tea. Pictures here.

As I knew I eventually would, I got lost coming home on the subway alone that night, but did finally make it back to Fort Greene after about two hours underground. I maintained my sanity throughout despite the poor air quality, but that night I just could not sleep.

My birthday itself then was mellow. I took myself to BAM (Brooklyn Academy of Music) where there is a nice movie theater and saw "The Hurt Locker." It was a good film and I gave it a 7 out of 10.

That night I was joined by some old and new faces at The Red Bamboo, a vegetarian (mostly vegan) restaurant in Fort Greene. From Crested Butte past, Elizabeth Marcon rode in. From high school days, Liz Day nee Lemer. And from the local, Debbie B. Resiting the sangria, but opting for the Death By Chocolate Cake (as I am my grandmother's grandson), I managed to get to bed before 1 AM and actually slept peacefully.

Yesterday then, and perhaps I'm dragging this entry beyond reasonable length, was also very nice. After another run in Prospect Park and a good chat with the smoothie guy (about the Tour de France) I visited the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens which were really beautiful and peaceful and larger than I thought. I was only able to cover about half the park before I had to quickly get home, change, and head into the city to join tens of thousands of people in Central Park for a concert on the Great Lawn by the New York Philharmonic. That band brought the Mozart Heat and the fireworks display at the end was really cool.

Luckily, Elizabeth's friends had arrived early enough to stake out a square of grass hemmed in on every side by the sea of humanity which were doing the same, forming a literal continuous quilt of picnic blankets covering the entire lawn. There were so many people in the tight space, with everyone calling their friends to locate them, that my T-mobile service was completely unusable for the duration. It was an incredibly unique experience and a truly cool night in New York.

This AM, I've done my run, and watched the Tour, and updated my blog. Tonight Charlie Hunter, a jazz guitarist, is playing the Manhattan. I hope I will be able to make it there. In between, we'll see in what Fortuna presents herself.

I hope your week is filled with adventure and joy as well.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home