Monday, January 30, 2012

Belated, but Answered


So, those shoes I was rambling on about -- yes, a year ago. I did arrive at a solution that worked pretty well. I travelled with only 3 pair of shoes for the 19 trip which included beaches, boats, mountains, city streets, and salsa clubs.

This was the key addition to the quiver: Simple Gumshoe. It's a vegan slip-on, stronger than a slipper, casual yet cool. The basic shoe has no arch support, but after putting in an old pair of orthotics, they really shined. I danced across the equator, chalked up miles in Quito and Lima, and salsa'ed over the floorboards of Cusco. Best of all, the Gumshoe packed almost completely flat, sliding lengthwise into my backpack like they weren't even there.

In the end, I traveled with these Gumshoes, my Keen sandals (boats and beaches), and my heavy Vasque Sundowner hiking boots (mountain trails). When I flew, I wore the hiking boots, which were a pain in security lines, but saved the space and weight in my backpack. All in all, the array worked very well, and I will happily travel with this configuration, should the diversity of conditions call for it, again.

If I end up needing ice skates or skies, it'll be back to the drawing board.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home